Friday, November 18, 2011

Undead and Unfinished by MaryJanice Davidson - Review





Undead and Unfinished
(Undead #9)
by MaryJanice Davidson

Vampire Queen Betsy Taylor returns in the ninth novel in the New York Times bestselling series.

Vampire Queen Betsy Taylor is having a tough time getting through the Book of the Dead-until the Devil strikes a bargain. She offers Betsy a chance to finish the cursed (literally!) thing, and finally discover all its mysteries. There's just one catch...

Betsy and her half-sister Laura have to go to Hell long enough for Laura to embrace her dark heritage (after a rebellious youth of charity work) and finally make nice with her mother, aka Lucifer. That means interacting with their family's past. In doing so, they're impacting the future in ways they never anticipated. Of course that's what Mother wanted all along. Damn her.

_____________________________





My Review:



I have been a big, big, BIG fan of Miss MaryJanice Davidson for years now, but my first thought when I started reading this volume was: "What was she on and where can I get some?".

Truthfully, this book was full of craziness. Not that any of the previous ones were what you'd call 'normal' (one of the reasons I love her writing so much), but this one was especially odd. LOL.

Other reviewers may have called it bad or simply garbage, screaming to anyone who would listen that they had given up on the author because of this volume... but I ended up liking it. All insanity and daughter of the Devil plus Vampire Queen time-travelling aside. No, wait, that was actually very interesting. LOL

Also, it was so very cute and romantic to see how Betsy acted with Sinclair in his past, to see how some unexplained things (involving Nostro, Tina's past, and the creepy Book of the Dead) suddenly became so obvious and clear.

But what absolutely freaked me out was the visit to the future. Really. I don't know what I can say without spoilers, but the latest book in the series is already out, so maybe... no. I won't tell. My only words for it are: THAT WAS FREAKING DEMENTED!

This book series started as light, humorous, paranormal chic lit, but it's evolving into something else entirely. I'm not sure I like where it's going, but I won't abandon the characters I love so much after all those volumes.

Oh, and the title tells it all. UNFINISHED. It makes you want to run and get the next volume ASAP. Or just drop the series entirely. Depends on who's reading.

1 comment:

  1. I´m still reading "Undead and Unpopular" (Undead #5), but I can´t wait to read! Queen Betsy is super funny and Sinclair is so freaking hot!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read what you have to say. :)